Monday 18 January 2016

Learning Wix

I have never used Wix before in my life. In fact, I have never made any website. So I decided it is time to get familiar with it and make a post on what I learned after having a go at it. So firstly, I made an account using my email and then I clicked 'create a website'. After that I was given a list of themes of which I could pick from to start my website from.

 I picked the theme 'EPK - Musicians' and was given the following default layout.


Essentially the website creator has a few tabs on the left hand side that are used to add items to the website. The top one is to change the background picture. I tried it out and picked a random picture just for the purpose of learning how to use it. I ended up with this: 
Next I wanted to  see what the second little tab does. Essentially, it lets you pick anything you would like to add to your website. From images, to music, to videos, and plenty of other options. I make music myself, therefore I decided to try and add some music embeded from my soundcloud to the webpage for the purpose of just learning how to use wix efficiently. To do this I went to my soundcloud and copied the embed code. 
I then went to the music tab on wix and picked the soundcloud window option. I dragged the soundcloud player to the homepage where I wanted it to be. I then went to 'settings' and pasted the embed code of my song. 

After that I wanted to learn how to manipulate the header. In order to do that I scrolled down to this section:


And decided to change the picture, the title, the news tab, and the details. I did this by double clicking on each section and then clicking on 'change text' or 'change picture'. I ended up with this.


What I learned from this experiment is literally how simplistic and convenient Wix made it for a free user to create their own website. This is a great example of how the proliferation of hardware and content is making technologies become easier, cheaper, and better.  Now that I have a decent understanding of how Wix works I can move on to making the website for our artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment